Spring is often considered a period of symbolic change and rebirth: the flowers begin to bloom, leaves sprout back to life, and animal life returns after the cold of winter. Spring cleaning has become part of many of our yearly routines—and for a good reason! Decluttering, deep cleaning, and refreshing our homes allow us to create a clean slate for the rest of the year. It’s an opportunity to start your home fresh, clean, and clear for a new year ahead!
For many homeowners, spring cleaning will typically revolve around the house. Cleaning out your refrigerator and finally organizing your closet are certainly worthwhile ways to spend your time tackling built up clutter and chaos. However, there are a few other things “around the house” that you might benefit from giving a spring touch-up.
- Electronic Devices: Our phones, tablets, and laptops are every-day companions, keeping us connected with the world around us. From texting family and friends to keeping in touch with work, your electronic devices are probably nearby from when you wake up until you go to sleep. Give them all a physical cleaning! Remove cases and give them a good wipe down. Use appropriate screen cleaners to remove smudges and fingerprints. Some phone cases can be removed and even washed in the sink or dishwasher to leave them feeling extra clean!
- Digital Deep Clean: Once your phone’s exterior is cleaned up, it’s time to give a little consideration to what’s on the phone itself. Delete unused applications and erase any unnecessary photos, texts, or emails. Sort the remaining items into folders. Organization on your digital devices can help then run smoother and makes it easier for you to find what you’re looking for.
- Car Detailing: Winter can be rough on cars, with mud and salt often caking the exterior and underside of your vehicle. It’s important to clean these contaminants off, or you risk corrosion and rust forming on your vehicle. Take your vehicle to a car wash and get a deep clean! Remove and wash rubber floor mats, while vacuuming the carpets. Once your car is nice and clean, make sure your tire pressures are within specification.
- Wallets and Purses: It’s easy for your wallet or purse to get filled up with old gift cards and even trash like gum wrappers and receipts. Take the time to declutter: sort through what you really need with you every day, and do your best to minimize.
- A Better Budget: If you’ve been thinking about saving money this year, spring is a great time to double down and “clean up” your budget. Take a look at your recent expenses and revaluate where you’re spending and saving.
- Mail Time: Junk mail seems more common today than ever before, but there are ways you can stop it from being delivered to your mailbox. The Federal Trade Commission has a few tips to help you get started.
Taking a little time to clean up your home- and your life- can help provide you with a positive new outlook for the spring season! These six suggestions are just a good starting spot: organizing your home and other aspects of your life will allow more time for focusing on the good things as you go forward!